Tampa Grocery Store Accidents and Injury Attorney
Whittel & Melton Tampa Supermarket Slip and Fall Lawyers
813-221-3200 or 866-608-5529 Call Today. Do Not Delay.
Tampa residents venture into grocery stores and supermarkets throughout the Tampa Bay area rather frequently, but most never even think twice about the possibility of suffering serious injuries while on their shopping trip. Grocery store slip and fall accidents are actually a lot more common than most think, and numerous people suffer harm while out shopping for groceries every year due to wet floors or messy merchandise cluttering up aisle walkways. Grocery stores and supermarkets are open to the public for business, so they have a legal obligation under Florida premises liability law to keep their property safe for patrons or at least display proper warning for any dangers located on their premises.
Our Tampa Grocery Store and Supermarket Accident Injury Lawyers at Whittel & Melton know how important it is to conduct a thorough investigation into slip and fall accidents and other types of premises liability incidents before any crucial evidence disappears from the scene. In our experience with these cases, there is usually a good amount of evidence that can establish negligence on the part of the grocery or supermarket or even an essential witness or two that can back up your claim. Evidence is essential to proving that grocery store management or supermarket employees did not take reasonable care to keep customers safe while shopping. We can immediately launch an investigation into your injury at a Tampa grocery store or supermarket to uncover key liability issues, such as:
- What types of procedures the grocery store or supermarket has in place for recognizing and eliminating safety hazards?
- Procedures the supermarket or grocery store has set up for keeping bathrooms and other areas in the store free from dangers, like slip and falls
- What training and supervision is provided for employees on how to safely stack merchandise and place inventory?
- What precautions the store takes to keep any hazardous conditions safe for guests, workers, and visitors?
- How long a certain danger at the store has been present?
- The amount of time employees has known about any dangers at the store or have received complaints from customers
- Any areas of the grocery store or supermarket that have uneven, rippled, or torn carpet
- Floors that are prone to slippery conditions
- Defective or Incorrect Paint used to stripe a parking lot – dangerous when wet
- Any equipment that is not working properly, such as a leaky water cooler or a broken freezer
- Inadequate lighting in walkways or stairways
- Stairways that have not been maintained properly
- Obstructions in aisleways that are not marked accordingly for shoppers
- Uneven pavement in the parking lot
Our Tampa Grocery Store and Supermarket Accident Injury Lawyers at Whittel & Melton zealously represent anyone who has suffered an injury in Tampa Bay area grocery stores or supermarkets, including but not limited to the following:
- Sprouts Farmers Market
- Duckweed Urban Grocery
- Suncoast Grocery
- Oceanic Oriental Supermarket
- The Fresh Market
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarket
- Fletcher Supermarket
- Quality Meat Market
- Friendly Meat & Grocery
- GFS Marketplace
- Rainbow Foods
- Costco/Sam’s Club/BJ’s
- Trader Joe’s
- Super Walmart
- Save A Lot
- Super Target
- Whole Foods Market
- Winn Dixie
Call us today at 813-221-3200 or contact us online> for a free consultation
The most common accidents in grocery stores or supermarkets are slip and falls. While these cases can be rather complex, with the right attorneys on your side, you can maximize your odds of recovering financial compensation for your suffering. When a grocery store or supermarket in Tampa fails to take proper precautions to clean up spilled liquids on the floor or place floor mats down in necessary areas, then they could be held liable for any injuries that result due to their oversights or negligence. Slip and Fall incidents occur in the exterior of a Supermarket as well. Unfortunately, too often Grocery Store chains do not supervise or provide necessary oversight and maintenance to the striping of the parking lots. These stripes when painted with the incorrect paint, take on oil and other substances from the cars and trucks, and then it rains and now you’ve got a dangerous condition. What’s worse the big grocery store chains have been defending these cases for years. They know exactly how to control or at least greatly reduce these accidents. Sadly, profits over safety apparently dictates where they spend their time, as these incidents occur over and over again.
The Federal Food and Drug Administration (FDA), the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), along with other state and federal agencies regulate how grocery stores and supermarkets should safely operate. Insurance companies for supermarkets and grocery stores also monitor stores’ safety protocols in order to keep their liability down and decrease injury-related incidents from occurring.
Lawsuits surrounding grocery store and supermarket accidents are very fact intensive. What this means for you is that you need to have a strong premises liability law firm fighting in your corner who handles these types of cases on a regular basis. Our Tampa Grocery Store and Supermarket Accident Injury Lawyers at Whittel & Melton routinely handle premises liability cases throughout the Bay area and know how to handle investigations and analyze evidence related to these incidents. We often utilize experts for these cases who can testify about what practices are common for keeping and maintaining the safety of grocery stores.What Are Common Grocery Store Accidents?
Regardless of grocery stores and supermarkets passing routine safety inspections, accidents can and still happen.
The most common causes of injuries in grocery stores include:
- Cuts from broken or damaged shopping carts
- Missing entryway or exit floor mats
- Slick or wet floors from leaks – air conditioner, frozen section, refrigerated areas
- Slick parking lot painted stripes with defective paint causing slipping hazard
- Improperly working or malfunctioning entryway or exit doors
- Merchandise falling from shelves onto shoppers
- Boxes or pallets of food obstructing aisleways
- Uneven or cracked pavement in the parking lot
- Rotten food being sold that causes food poisoning
In Tampa and elsewhere throughout the country, grocery stores have what is known as a duty of care to their workers and customers, meaning that they must keep their premises reasonably safe from any foreseeable harm. For example, if an employee fails to clean up a toilet that has overflowed and a customer or visitor slips and becomes injured, then this is considered foreseeable harm. Unforeseeable harm would be anything that the store cannot predict would be an issue for customers or visitors.
Whether a mom and pop corner shop or a large corporate-owned grocery chain, all retail stores must protect their customers. When a store fails to keep their patrons safe, then they have breached their duty of care and could be liable for any damages resulting from a customer’s injury, such as medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
After a grocery store or supermarket accident in Tampa, you must protect your rights. If you need to be sure you have a valid claim, then we strongly recommend that you contact our Tampa Bay Premises Liability Lawyers at Whittel & Melton at 813-221-3200 or contact us online for a free consultation to learn more.Contact Our Tampa Grocery Store and Supermarket Accident Injury Lawyers at Whittel & Melton - 813-221-3200
Our Tampa Grocery Store and Supermarket Accident Injury Lawyers at Whittel & Melton know that you may be dealing with many stresses and struggles following a grocery store accident. We can help you understand your rights and what to expect from your case. Our goal is to get the best possible outcome for you so that you can move forward from this unfortunate event. We welcome you to call us today at 813-221-3200 or contact us online to schedule your no-obligation free consultation. If we are not able to get you financial compensation, then you will not owe us any legal fees.