Miami Beach Birth Injury Attorney
Miami Beach Birth Injury Lawyers Whittel & Melton
Call Today. Do Not Delay. 866-608-5529
Miami Beach – Surfside – Bal Harbour Child Birth Injury Attorney
The birth of a new baby is a joyous time, but your happiness can be overshadowed when an injury occurs during the birth process. While about 6 in every 1,000 babies born in the United States will suffer a birth injury, the results of any birth injury to your child can be devastating. One of the most serious birth injuries, cerebral palsy, affects 1 in 500 babies and causes irreversible and permanent damage to a child’s brain. If your family is struggling with the aftermath of a birth injury caused by your doctor or other healthcare provider’s bad decision, then you absolutely have the right to seek justice for your pain and suffering.
It is important to be able to decipher between a birth injury and a birth defect. A birth defect is not the same as a birth injury and is an issue that develops during pregnancy or before birth. This can be an issue like Down Syndrome, which is believed to be an issue that relates back to a child’s DNA. Birth defects can also arise if a mother drinks alcohol or uses drugs while pregnant. Birth injuries are any injuries that a baby suffers from the physical trauma associated with the birthing process, and are almost always preventable. Birth injuries can really range in their severity from injuries that can heal on their own like bruising to more serious issues like brain damage, broken bones, and permanent nerve damage.
Some of the most common birth injuries are:
- Erb’s Palsy or other harm suffered to the brachial plexus - these injuries result in nerve damage to a baby’s arm and can leave the child partially or fully paralyzed in this area.
- Facial paralysis - this can also occur because of nerve damage and be temporary or permanent.
- Shoulder Dystocia - this happens when a baby gets its shoulder stuck behind the mother’s pubic bone after the head has exited the birth canal.
- Cephalohematoma - this is bleeding that happens in the baby’s skull that can lead to a broken skull.
- Caput succedaneum - this is scalp bleeding and can also result in a skull fracture.
- Brain damage - this can happen during childbirth due to oxygen deprivation also known as anoxia or hypoxia.
- Cerebral palsy - this is a very serious condition that happens when a baby’s oxygen supply is cut off during the birth process. When a baby fails to get enough oxygen, their brain cells die, and this causes certain brain functions to never function normally. Every child with cerebral palsy can have varying conditions, but they usually have problems with movement, muscle spasms, and trouble walking. Children with cerebral palsy can also develop speech problems, hearing and sight problems, seizures, and cognitive issues.
While in some cases birth injuries are unavoidable, in the majority of cases, these injuries can be avoided when doctor’s and other healthcare provider’s make different decisions. When a doctor or other medical professional’s decisions fall below the acceptable standard of care set forth by the medical community, then this is known as medical malpractice. If you believe your child’s birth injury was caused by medical malpractice, you need to speak with our Miami Beach Birth Injury Lawyers at Whittel & Melton as we can help you hold the negligent medical professionals or hospital responsible for your suffering. Call us now at 866-608-5529 or contact us online.How will a Birth Injury Affect You and Your Child’s Future?
A birth injury can leave your child suffering from a permanent disability that can ultimately affect:
- Your baby and their future quality of life
- Your relationship with your spouse or partner
- Your other children
- Your finances
- Your employment status
- The mental and emotional health of your entire family
When your baby suffers harm from a birth injury, it is perfectly normal to feel like it’s not fair. The medical professionals or facilities responsible for the birth injury are liable under Florida law, which is where we come in to help you build the best possible case to prove liability. Our Miami Beach Birth Injury Lawyers at Whittel & Melton will conduct a careful review of the evidence available regarding your baby’s injury, the full scope of the injury/disability, and the costs that you have already endured as well as future costs. It is absolutely vital to your case to figure out an accurate estimate of future medical expenses, so that we can work to recover full and fair compensation for your child and your family.What Types of Mistakes Can Result in a Birth Injury?
Doctors and other medical professionals are humans who can make mistakes. Doctors and other medical professionals are also held to a certain standard of care in order to prevent mistakes and keep their patients free from harm. No parent or child should be left suffering from a birth injury due to an overworked doctor or undertrained medical support staff. Some other common issues that can lead to a birth injury are:
- Giving the wrong medication or wrong dosage of medication to the mother
- Not performing a C-section in a timely manner
- Not using labor and delivery tools like forceps or vacuum extractors properly
- Using too much force when pulling the baby from the birth canal
- Not monitoring the baby properly for signs of distress
- Failing to respond to unexpected bleeding
- Improper infant care post delivery
- Not managing any infections properly
- Not responding to a baby trapped or entangled in the umbilical cord
Regardless of the reason, there is no excuse for a medical professional to act negligently. A birth injury can lead to mounting medical bills and a lifetime of treatments for your child. By contacting our Miami Beach Birth Injury Lawyers at Whittel & Melton as soon as possible, we can help you understand if your birth injury claim has merit. We work with a team of medical experts and our first step will be obtaining and reviewing your medical records to pinpoint what exactly caused your child’s birth injury. If we find that negligence is the cause, then we can proceed with seeking financial compensation on your behalf.Let Our Miami Beach Birth Injury Lawyers at Whittel & Melton Help You - 866-608-5529
Sadly, there are numerous possibilities for problems to arise during labor and delivery. However, a skilled OBGYN, doctor, and other medical support staff should be able to anticipate these potential problems and plan the best course of action to deliver your baby safely. When they fail to take appropriate action, tragedy can result.
A child’s birth injury can have a great affect on your entire family. While there is no amount of money that can reverse the damage that a birth injury has caused your loved ones, it can help you cover expenses both now and in the future. A negligent healthcare provider must be held responsible for their errors, and our Miami Beach Birth Injury Attorneys at Whittel & Melton want to help you with your claim so that we can help you gain a sense of justice and prevent any future similar mistakes from happening. We can offer you a free consultation where we will review your case and answer any questions you have. We want to make sure you fully understand how a birth injury case progresses and all possible outcomes. From there, we can discuss how our contingency fees work and once we agree to work together, we can begin the claims process towards financial recovery. Depending on the circumstances of your case, we may be able to secure a financial settlement out of court. If we cannot reach a fair settlement through negotiations, then we will push forward to trial. As trial lawyers, we fully prepare every case as if it will go to trial, so rest assured we will do everything we can to achieve the best possible outcome for your case.
Our Miami Beach Birth Injury Lawyers at Whittel & Melton have the skill and legal resources available to handle your birth injury case in Miami Beach. We want to help your family recover full and fair compensation for your suffering. Our Miami Beach Birth Injury Lawyers at Whittel & Melton proudly serve all communities in Miami Beach, including Allison Island, Biscayne Point, Stillwater, Fisher Island, Hibiscus Island, Palm Island, Star Island, Normandy Shores, Normandy Isles, Sunset Islands, Venetian Islands, La Gorce Island, Key Biscayne, Brickell, South Beach, Bal Harbour, North Beach, SoFi, Surfside, Brickell, Sunny Isles Beach, Golden Beach, and Coconut Grove. We strongly urge you to call us today at 866-608-5529 or contact us online for a completely free consultation. We may be able to help you when no one else will.