Fort Lauderdale Birth Injury Attorneys
Call Today. Do Not Delay. 866-608-5529 or 561-367-8777
Our Broward County Birth Injury Attorneys at Whittel & Melton represent families in Fort Lauderdale, Pompano Beach, Hollywood, Coral Springs, Weston, and all of Broward County who have endured the devastating experience that having a child with birth injuries caused by medical negligence brings about. Our Lawyers are dedicated and caring birth injury attorneys who can help guide you through this challenging time and provide your family with compassion and respect as we fight to get answers and justice on your behalf.
The day a child is born should be one of the greatest days of a parent’s life. Excitement can easily turn into a nightmare if your newborn baby is injured during labor and delivery because of a negligent medical staff. The overwhelming feelings and stress can be a heavy load to bear and you may also be shocked that a doctor you trusted compromised the health of you and your child. Sadly, too many families are thrust into this trauma every year.
Doctors, obstetricians, midwives, doulas, hospitals, and other medical professionals can make preventable mistakes. When these errors happen before, during, or after a baby’s delivery, the results can be tragic for the infant. According to the Birth Injury Guide, somewhere between 6-8 babies out of 1,000 will be born with a birth injury. This adds up to about 28,000 children being born suffering from a birth injury every year in the U.S. Estimates also show that about 50% of these birth injuries that happen each year are entirely preventable.
If your baby has suffered from a birth injury in Fort Lauderdale or anywhere in Broward County, it is critical that you get legal help from our Birth Injury Attorneys at Whittel & Melton in Fort Lauderdale so that we can start an investigation to determine if medical malpractice or negligence was the cause.Who Are We?
Our team of dedicated lawyers at Whittel & Melton has decades of experience in injury cases all over the state of Florida, including Fort Lauderdale and throughout the Broward County area. Our firm is composed of a variety of lawyers with different profiles, which gives us the ability to handle all types of injuries in Fort Lauderdale, Pompano Beach, Hollywood, Coral Springs, Weston, and all of Broward County. Our attorneys have studied, investigated and won various types of lawsuits stemming from error, mistake, malfeasance, malpractice all over the state of Florida in all walks of life including hospitals, physican offices etc.
Our knowledge and experience from working these kinds of cases over the years has provided us with invaluable insight into how these cases work and we know what it takes to be successful. We won’t rest until justice is sought for you and we will fight aggressively to accomplish what you deserve. Our goal is to help you through this difficult time and get you the financial compensation you are entitled to. If you or your child has suffered from a birth injury then please call us today at 866-608-5529 for a free consultation or contact us online. We are happy to answer all of your questions and get started on your birth injury claim.What is a Birth Injury Case?
We can handle any type of birth injury claim throughout the state of Florida, but the most common birth injury cases involve the following:
- Spinal Cord Injuries - usually caused by some type of trauma during birth, these injuries place compression on the baby’s spinal cord which can cause permanent injuries like loss of mobility and paralysis.
- Cerebral Palsy - this is a lifelong congenital, muscle tone, or posture disability that arises when a baby is deprived of oxygen or experiences brain trauma during birth.
- Brachial Plexus Injury - these injuries affect the bundle of nerves in the base of the neck and can cause permanent loss of function in the hand and arm.
- Cephalohematoma - this is when blood collects between the baby’s scalp and skull during childbirth, but is only temporary and easily treatable.
- Subconjunctival hemorrhage - this is when blood vessels burst in the white of the eye during a traumatic childbirth when OBGYNs exert force using tools like forceps or a vacuum extractor.
- Broken Bones - Broken bones or fractures can happen to a baby during childbirth usually because of some type of medical negligence on behalf of the doctor or hospital staff.
- Caput Succedaneum - this is swelling that happens around a baby’s skull during childbirth and gives the baby a “cone head” appearance. The good news is that it can be treated.
- Intracranial hemorrhage - these are known as brain bleeds and can range from minor to quite severe injuries usually caused by a lack of oxygen during delivery or excessive force to the baby’s head during delivery.
- Hypoxic Ischemic Encephalopathy (HIE) - this injury can result in brain damage due to lack of oxygen and limited blood flow during a traumatic delivery.
Some situations might raise more red flags than others that medical malpractice occurred, but others will not be so clear. Our Fort Lauderdale Birth Injury Attorneys at Whittel & Melton have the experience needed to identify when birth injuries are the fault of medical negligence by a healthcare provider. We will perform our own in-depth investigation to identify whether or not a medical error played a role in your child’s injury. We will review your medical records and consult with other medical experts to get to the bottom of exactly what happened. If medical malpractice or negligence was a factor, then you may be entitled to recover financial damages for the physical, emotional, and developmental impact the birth injury has on your child and the rest of your family.What Types of Financial Compensation Can I Recover in a Birth Injury Lawsuit?
Birth injuries can range in severity, but many can leave your child struggling for the rest of their life from serious mental or physical disabilities which can take a huge toll on your financial, mental, and emotional well-being. By seeking financial compensation for the damages you and your family has incurred, you can recover a monetary award that can help your child get the medical care they need both now and in the future to lead a successful life. If your child has suffered a birth injury due to a mistake made by a doctor, nurse, OBGYN, midwife, medical facility, or hospital, the we want to help you file a lawsuit for both economic and non-economic damages like:
- Past, present and future medical bills
- Physical therapy
- Occupational therapy
- Lost wages
- Expenses for long-term care at home
- Mental and/or emotional distress
- Physical pain or suffering
- Depression or anxiety
- Loss of a normal life
- Shortened life expectancy
- Wrongful death if your child has died from a birth injury
While these damages may never provide you with the true justice you and your daily deserves, they can help to make sure your child and family is provided for now and in the future. We know the pain and struggle that birth injuries can place on families, and we sympathize with the devastation this brings. We want you to know that we will fight by your side as soon as we take your case and make sure we see it through to its finish. We want to get you the full and fair compensation to which you are entitled and will do everything in our power to see to it that you are taken care of.How Can Our Fort Lauderdale Birth Injury Attorneys Help You?
If you have reason to believe that your child’s birth injury was caused by a medical mistake, then it is very important for you to speak with our Fort Lauderdale Birth Injury Attorneys at Whittel & Melton as soon as possible. We can help you fight for financial compensation your winter family needs to provide for your child so that they can live a quality life. We will provide you with a free consultation so that you can explain your situation and we can learn the details surrounding your child’s birth injury. From there, we will explain how we handle our cases on a contingency fee basis, so you will never pay any out of pocket legal fees and you will not owe us a penny unless we recover compensation on your behalf. If we agree to work together, then we will get started investigating right away and will consult with medical experts to determine what the exact cause of your child’s birth injury was. Once we can establish that medical malpractice occurred, then we can begin filing a lawsuit on your behalf. Call us today at 866-608-5529 or contact us online so that we can begin helping you right away.